(AINA) — The Assyrian International News Agency reported that 4000 Muslims attacked Coptic homes in the village of Soul, Atfif in Helwan Governorate, 30 kilometers from Cairo, on March 5th. The Church of St. Mina and St. George was burned to the ground and the whereabouts of Father Yosha and three deacons is uncertain.
“Coptic” means “Egyptian” and Christians living in Egypt identify themselves as Coptic Christian. Christianity was the majority religion in Roman Egypt during the 4th to 6th centuries and until the Muslim conquest.
The incident that sparked all this had to do with a Copt and a Muslim woman. The father of the Muslim woman was killed by his cousin because he did not kill his daughter to preserve the family’s honor, which led the woman’s brother to avenge the death of his father by killing the cousin. The village Muslims blamed the Christians.
- Nearly 4000 Muslims Attack Christian Homes in Egypt, Torch Church (theboldcorsicanflame.wordpress.com)
- 4000 Muslims Attack Christian Homes in Egypt, Torch Church (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Muslim ‘Honor’ Upheld: 4000 Muslims Attack Coptics in Egypt (cowboypapist.com)
- Yet another bloody puzzle in Egypt (getreligion.org)
- Where are all the Happy Revolution Supporters NOW, when Christians are being attacked by Muslim mobs in Egypt? (bokertov.typepad.com)
- Democracy Akbar! Coptic Church of St Mina and St George is torched by ‘thousands of Muslims’ (archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.com)